DH23Things will guide you through a collection of 6-8 digital Things in each themed module, but here are a few simple, general extra tools to whet your appetite, which you might find useful at any time in completing the programme! No need to blog about these, just have a play with them and see if they’re useful. There will be even more digital tools to discover in the 30Things in 30mins talk at the launch event, and we’ll be posting them here after the event.
Managing online user accounts
- Howsecureismypassword To use some of the Things we’ll be exploring, you’ll be setting up a few user accounts. Security is obviously an issue, and this site will tell you how secure your chosen password would be.
- Lastpass is a secure online manager for all the passwords you’ll need to remember when setting up the user accounts for many of the online tools we’ll be exploring. Is this a preferable alternative to storing them in a file on your computer, or a piece of paper?
One of the benefits of DH23Things as an online course is its flexibility – you can complete it whenever in the week suits you best. However, this means that participating in DH23Things is also easy to put off….if you’d like a little help scheduling your DH23Things participation, here are a few tools which might be useful:
- RemembertheMilk is an online to-do list which can help you organise your tasks, set due times and dates, and send you reminders.
- Google Calendar is an online diary in which you can schedule your DH23Things times and which also sends you reminders.
- Focusbooster is a productivity app to download which helps you break up your work into manageable 20minute timeslots, and lets you know when your time’s up and you need to take a break!
- StayFocusd is an extension to the Google Chrome browser (see LeechBlock if you use Firefox) which helps you to focus on work by blocking or restricting your access to certain websites, or even the whole internet, for a period of time set by you. This might seem an odd choice to support an online course, but if you find yourself on Facebook rather than DH23Things, this might help!
DH23Things is a largely online course and enables peer discussion, but sometimes it’s good to discuss your responses to the digital technologies face to face. There are review and debrief sessions scheduled, but if you want to set up your own amongst other participants, go ahead!
- DoodlePoll is a way of scheduling meeting times easily and conveniently, without to-ing and fro-ing of emails.